Lawns, types, and composition in front of the house. Sensitivity to soil preparation and sowing, nuances of care, cutting properties. Do it yourself with step-by-step instructions for creating a cottage area.
The dense green lawn on the plot is one of the hallmarks of a farmhouse. It transforms the look of the cottage at once, gives the garden a well-groomed and solid look, and creates a feeling of coziness. And if the grass at the same time was not also created by landscape designers, but by you personally, then, in addition to thinking about the neat amount saved, then the realization that you created this beauty with your own hands must be your soul. In addition, there is nothing very difficult about sowing a lawn; it only requires patience and diligence.
Main types of lawns
Before sowing a lawn on your site, you should decide exactly how you want to see it, and for what purpose you are going to use it. It’s one thing if you need a piece of green grass as a worthy environment for alpine slides and flower beds, you are not going to have a picnic on it, put inflatable pools, and walk barefoot – in other words, the lawn should perform a purely decorative operation. And it’s completely different when you need a cozy, green lawn for children to play and adults to relax.
Different types of lawns serve different purposes:
- Parterre or royal … Difficult to grow, energy-intensive in maintenance, and a really expensive option for a green cover, which can only be viewed from a window or from the walkway. It produces a flawless, dense, and dense mound with a uniform thickness of grass leaves and a rich green color, which rapidly deteriorates without proper care.
- English … A kind of parterre lawn, less impressive, but more democratic. Needs regular, though not so careful care can play both a decorative and practical role.
- Meadow or natural turf … Consists of unpretentious, resistant to crushing herbs, which nevertheless look attractive and do not create a mess. If the lawn contains the seeds of meadow plants such as curved grass, bluegrass or fescue, you can create not only an area of thick grass on the ground but a real living lawn.
- Mauritanian … Sowing mixtures combine the seeds of traditional grass fleas and meadow flowers – wild poppies, chamomile, flax, oregano, and mint, which look very beautiful in dense vegetation. You do not have to mow the lawn as regularly as for example a party or a sports field; it looks very beautiful and can be a venue for summer trips and children’s games.
- A sport … Ideal for a playground as it has excellent tread resistance, improves quickly and does not require complicated maintenance. However, the very arrangement of the lawn is a problem for the novice gardener, as it cannot be done without creating a drainage system and planting requires much larger seeds than in other cases.
- Lattice or eco-friendly parking … The most “stress-resistant” lawn design, is used to decorate driveways and private parking spaces. The combination of grass and mesh made of high-density materials looks impressive and much more attractive than gravel path or asphalt.
- Ungrass … Stunningly beautiful lawn flowering plants, which gradually cover the entire area of the garden allotted to them, leaving few indifferent. Unfortunately, it is very difficult and time-consuming to cultivate such lawns with their own hands, and with the help of a specialist it is expensive, so it is extremely rare. Almost exclusively on the plots of passionate gardeners.
- Mokhovoy … Very special, but rapidly growing type of coverage for shaded corners of the garden is moss lawn. Reminiscent of the emerald velvet that spread across the earth. It requires almost no maintenance, is resistant to frost and heat, protects the soil from erosion, it is pleasant to walk on it barefoot. All the difficulty lies in buying the right material and putting it on the site, but if you have been thinking for a long time about how to create a lawn in your country house, which will not be equivalent to any neighbors, you should try.
- Vertical … A special lawn is a grass that is intended for cultivation on the roofs of Eco villages or steep slopes. Their strong roots allow plants to stay in the soil even in conditions that would have washed and shredded other grass.
Note! According to another classification, a rural area can be sown or sold. The first is sown and germinated and the second is bought ready-made and rolled out on the ground.
How to choose seeds for lawns in the country?
There are various requirements for the seed used for lawn cultivation, but compliance with it will ensure excellent results.
The composition of the lawn may contain plants:
- Perennial, with a well-developed root system and viable shoots.
- Compatible with each other. The grasses should get along well in the same area, do not indicate irregularities and in addition, they will be chosen so that at any time of summer one of them is in the young growth stage, the most beautiful for visual perception.
- Resistant to fluctuations in temperature and humidity. There are grass mixtures that were originally intended for the producer to grow in shady or sunny places, but in general, herbs should not require special conditions for their existence.
- Withstands crushing to varying degrees. For example, the “titanium” of the plant world is used for sports fields – combs, white bends, etc., but the grass for the grass in English or meadow style may belong to more delicate varieties.
- Has a bright saturated shade. In this respect, there is no equivalent to soft green released curved grass, malachite bluegrass, and ryegrass – it is not for nothing that they are found in almost every mixture.
It will be difficult for inexperienced summer residents to independently choose and combine different types of seeds according to all requirements because no matter how much you are interested in cultivating lawns in the country with your own hands, it is advisable to turn to ready-made sets of herbs as experts have already compiled for you. Especially when it comes to bright Moorish lawns, indicating the presence of wildflowers or elite parterre.
Note! The suspiciously cheap seed for the grass indicates that plants with low decorative and sowing properties are predominant in the mixture. Thin and graceful plants are more difficult to produce and therefore cost more. So do not go for attractive prices – pay attention to the composition of the equipment and the reputation of the manufacturer.
Instructions for arranging lawns on site
So the decision has been made, the grass seeds for the grass have been bought… It’s time to go into action. Make a reservation right away that it is better to do this in the spring: the grasses planted in the summer will not grow well, show all bald spots in the place intended for green cover, and will not have time to strengthen in the winter to grow fast in the spring. Prepare the area in late September-October and start sowing in April-May.
The first thing a novice gardener should do is choose a suitable land and study its properties. what to expect in the future. For example, limestone soils located under the primary fertile layer will significantly complicate your task.
To begin sowing the grass in the spring, in the fall, a selected area is dug up, carefully selected from the ground weeds, stones, ditches, and similar small things that can spoil the result. You can, of course, affect the weeds with chemicals, but it is better not to contaminate the soil and perform all the work manually, finally, thoroughly level the area with a rake. Keep in mind: In the spring, you need to repeat the herbicide program as some of them will germinate as soon as the snow melts.
Nutrients are placed in the thawed soil, emphasizing its composition, or a comprehensive mineral and organic fertilizer for the grass is preferred. Laboratory research will be useful here, as they will be able to show exactly what is missing from the site, but if it is impossible to make an analysis, you may be without it.
If it is decided to bring the soil to the dacha to increase the fertility of the soil, then you should take care of its compaction by compaction and pouring methods, otherwise, after a while, the lawns will sink in places and lose their beauty.
Note! You should not use equipment such as tractors to hammer, it will compact the soil too much. Use a sand-filled pipe or another handy device.
After the land for the grass is fully prepared, they start sowing. The main condition that follows will ensure that there are not too thick patches of grass on the site, as well as areas in translucent soil, is the homogeneity of sowing.
It can be achieved in three ways:
- Mix seeds with a little fine sand to make things easier for you;
- Draw the ground with twisted stretches through each meter and measure a certain amount of seeds for each side;
- Use special grass flow sowing, especially if you need to cultivate soil over 100 m in size 2 .
Note! The standard sowing rate is approximately 30-40 g of seeds per 1 m 2 of land. But you should not buy sowing material exactly to measure, because in the future you may need to thicken some places with additional parts of seeds and the grass in another shade will look ugly on them.
- Planting a lawn starts from the edge, paying special attention to it.
- Half of the seeds are sown, but the other half – across the plot.
- They start work in calm, windless weather to avoid the uncontrolled distribution of planting material.
Note! Theoretically, it is possible to plant lawns in both spring and autumn and let the seeds emerge from the snow by the end of March, but in the latter case, you need to be prepared because you will not get a uniform grass cover in your cottage this summer.
Care and watering
When the planting of the lawn is complete, its owner can only wait for the shoots, but it is too early to relax completely – there is still a lot of work ahead.
It is very important to ensure that the lawn is properly watered so that the seeds do not suffer from a lack of moisture and do not float in puddles that form on the spot. Watch the weather: dry winds and hot sunlight will be a worthy reason to return to the area with a hose and at the same time make sure that the jet does not wash the crop from the ground. A special nozzle helps to solve this problem, distributing water in the smallest splashes.
When the first shoots appear, the grass can be prepared with automatic watering. However, until the grass is at least 1-1.5 cm long, it is still not worth relying on its automatic care.
The first mowing begins much later when the grass leaves rise 10-12 cm above the ground, but then the usual routine begins with regular mowing every 10-14 days, depending on the growth rate of the plants or the type of lawn. English and sporty are cut more often, ants less often. Last time the grass is cut so that it goes under the snow, 3-5 cm in height, to protect the rhizomes from frost.
In the fall, fertilizers are used: nitrogen, minerals, and phosphate-potassium. In order not to get into a mess, follow the exact instructions: the lawn can react badly to overdoing the dose and not get all the benefits of the feeding is not enough. You should be especially careful with nitrogen fertilizers.
Lawn care also includes:
- Weeds if they manage to break out of the ground along with the plants. It is produced as soon as possible so that the weeds do not have time to intertwine the roots tightly with the crops and only by hand.
- Use a blower to provide oxygen to the roots and give the lawn a better look. In extreme cases, the soil can be stung by a calf.
- Supervision in case of headache.
- Brush the grass with a rake to remove dry grass.
- Fight against shading if mold or moss is present at the roots.
How to make the local grass green, thick and soft without further effort? Buy finished products in rolls. It will cost more, but the magnificent green lawn will appear in your yard, as if by magic. Admittedly, standard soil preparation still needs to be done, but after that, you just need to roll out the rolls on the spot, carefully connect them and cover the teams with mulch.
Unusual solutions for arranging lawns in the country
Many owners, who are seriously concerned about the aesthetic aspects of their site, are concerned about how to make the grass not only fluffy and fresh but also original, to give it and the overall look of a cottage or farmhouse joy. Well, many interesting solutions have piled up these days.
To make your holiday home unique, try:
- Combine long grass beaches with patches of light tiles. You can give them a neat, well-groomed look by cutting the evergreen stems or to achieve slight neglect that occurs in an old garden. Looks very romantic!
- To close the turf with the grass planted on it in wooden frames that rise 10-15 cm above the ground. Such green “flower beds” on white stones look very stylish.
- Lay out a maze of small concrete slabs or paving stones in the grass, which romantic people and children will really like.
- Here and there, beautiful rocks scattered on the lawn, resembling an imaginary landscape, a Scottish dessert, or a Japanese rock garden.
- Before planting a lawn, you need to arrange a low floor in the center of the area intended for this purpose, and when it is intertwined with grass, fit a round door and decorative window and imitate a hobbit house.
- To turn the slope that exists in the landscape of the cottage into a terrace covered with green grass and reinforced with a wooden frame.
But why should we be guided by the ideas of others? Take a look at the pictures online, get inspired, and let your imagination run wild! If anyone before you learned how to make a lawn impressive, original, and interesting with your own hands, you can do the same. Get creative!