Film masks; how can you make them at home? What is the principle of using the masking film, and what results can be expected from its use? Valuable properties, precautions, and application techniques. The best homemade recipes for film masks.
A film mask is an effective way to care for the skin with peculiar consistency and application properties. It helps eliminate acne, blackheads, oily sheen, dull skin tone, early signs of fading, and many other cosmetic problems when used regularly. But for the mask to appear at its full potential, you must handle it correctly.
What is a film mask?
Synthetic sheet masks are a substance that resembles a gel or a thick cream. Apply evenly to the skin; they harden quickly and form a film that is easy to pick up at the edge and remove.
Manufacturers add various substances to the gel to solve specific skin problems:
- Acne removers will contain antibacterial ingredients such as tea tree oil and healing aloe vera;
- The moisturizer probably contains cucumber extract or hyaluronic acid;
- For aging – squalane, vitamins C and E;
- In the nutrient – oils;
- Gold mask films have particles of the most delicate gold foil, which are supposed to soften, heal and rejuvenate the skin.
It is very convenient to use film masks. They don’t need to be rinsed, don’t drip on clothes during cosmetics, and don’t leave dirty stains on the bathroom tiles. In addition, there are separate masks for problem areas of the face – for example, the nose and the forehead, which make self-defense even easier.
Functional properties of the film masks
Regardless of the goal the manufacturer set for the cosmetics, all face masks, without exception, act as gentle exfoliation, capture and remove dry particles of the epidermis, soap-resistant dirt, and top sebum-infamous blackheads. As a result, the skin is cleansed, its lightness and tone are evened out, and the overall appearance becomes fresher. Of course, after several subsequent procedures, all this does not happen immediately.
The additional effect of the film mask depends on the components it contains:
- Get rid of acne;
- Eliminate oily sheen, for example, in the T-zone;
- Tone and moisturize the skin;
- Saturate the epidermis with nutrients and oxygen;
- Stimulate the production of cells from their collagen;
- Activate the regeneration process.
Facial film masks often combine ingredients designed to provide a comprehensive solution to several problems at once.
Attention! It is essential to understand that cosmetics help eliminate only the visible part of the problem without touching its root causes. So, a mask film from black dots will erase unpleasant spots on the face but will not prevent them from forming again. To say goodbye to “cannabis” in a reliable way, you must review your diet and skin care methods and possibly visit a dermatologist.
Contraindications and harm of the film masks
Looking at the ease with which beauty bloggers use a brush with healing gel, apply it to their face, and then remove the frozen colored films with almost no movement, one would think that the use of miracle lightning would be enjoyable and safe. But it is not so.
Cleansing masks often contain potent substances that irritate thin and sensitive skin and make it flaky, red, and itchy. In principle, you should choose the show according to your skin type. Still, it would help if you were especially careful with sensitivity and thinness.
If you have problems with rosacea, do not use foil masks – you can worsen the situation.
Do not use cosmetic preparations on open wounds or swollen pimples.
Before buying a film mask for the face, carefully study its composition to exclude the presence of allergens among the components. Test any new product on a small skin patch near your elbow or wrist. Apply a little gel to the body, wait 10-15 minutes, and remove the formed film. Do itching and redness occur? Everything is excellent; you can introduce the mask to your regular beauty routine.
Attention! Choose funds from trusted brands and don’t look for total savings. Buying a cheap mask film with a lifting effect, for example, will have a good impact on your budget but quickly destroy the skin, so instead of a tiny defect, you can get a whole bunch of new ones.
The most popular movie masks
Today, many cosmetic companies are engaged in the production of film masks for various skin problems. Some of them deserve attention, but others better stay away. Take, for example, the devices that have received the highest rating from users on the Russian-speaking Internet.
- JM Solution, Water Luminous Golden Cocoon Mask, South Korea … Maintains the necessary moisture level in the skin, stimulates collagen formation, maintains softness and freshness, and gives a healthy glow. It contains a proprietary oil enriched with various healing agents, silk essence, and vitamins.
- Belita-M, face mask with pomelo and papaya Nice Selfie, Belarus … Vitex, a well-established manufacturer in the market, is famous for cheap and high-quality cosmetics. In this case, he suggests nourishing, moisturizing, refreshing, whitening, mattifying, tightening pores, and lightening freckles with a mask based on extracts of exotic plants, olive oil, and panthenol.
- Skinlite, Skin Renewal Gold Film Mask, South Korea … Cleans the epidermis from dead cells, balances relief, tightens pores, promotes cell renewal, and restores complexion. Contains honey extract and numerous plants.
- Farmstay, charcoal mask head peel-off mask pack, South Korea … It unclogs and tightens pores, strengthens the skin and promotes healing of minor injuries and tissue regeneration.
- Banna, gold collagen face masks, Thailand … Clears clogged pores, smoothes tattoos, and makes wrinkles less noticeable. Contains colloidal gold and collagen.
- Swallow’s Nest Collagen Film Mask, South Korea … Exfoliates, nourishes, moisturizes, fights wrinkles and sagging, and changes color during drying. Contains collagen, plant and honey extracts, gold, and propolis.
- Esthetic House 24K Gold Enveloping Facial Mask, South Korea … Cleanses and mattifies, nourishes and moisturizes, deeply cleanses and tightens. Contains plant extracts and snail mucus, oils, vitamins, and fragrances. Accordingly, it is something transitional between a film and an alginate mask.
- Christina, Comodex Extract & Refine Peel-Off Mask, Israel … Deeply cleanses the skin of dirt and toxins, stimulates blood circulation, and promotes tissue regeneration. Contains plant extract, a complex of vitamins and acids.
The best homemade recipes for film masks
Homemade facial film masks are less effective than advertised, but with regular use, they pay off. The role of collagen in them is played by gelatin, fresh vegetables and fruits provide vitamins, activated carbon is an absorbent material that extracts harmful substances from tissues, oils soften the skin, egg white reduces pores, vitamin C from citrus fruits has a rejuvenating effect, and green tea and decoctions provide toning herbs.
Gelatin foil masks recipes:
- Whitening with clay … Pour 10 g of gelatin with 100 ml of warm milk and let it swell. The resulting mass, stir and heat in a water bath until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Add 0.5 tsp. White or blue clay and the same amount of honey to soften. Make sure that the mixture does not burn the skin, apply it all over the face, wait until it dries, and carefully remove it.
- Vitamin film mask with berry juice … Pour 10 g of gelatin with 100 ml of freshly squeezed fruit, berries, or vegetables suitable for your skin type. The fat goes well with citrus fruits, currants, and tomatoes. Dry loves strawberries and peaches, carrots, cabbage, and apples. But watermelon is suitable for any skin type. Keep the mixture in the sauna, try not to overheat it so that the juice retains the maximum of valuable substances, cool it, and apply it to the skin. Remove after drying. A little trick: chop selected fruits on a fine grater and use the resulting liquid if you don’t have a juicer.
- Firming film mask with sour cream … 1 tbsp. l. Gelatin is dissolved in warm water and heated in a steam bath until completely dissolved and cooled slightly. Stir in 1 tbsp. l. fat sour cream and 3-5 drops of vitamin E in oil. Apply to face, wait until dry and remove.
- Toning mask with cucumber juice … Prepare an infusion of chamomile and green tea in different cups. Take 50 ml of both inputs (you can drink the rest or freeze them in a form to make cubes to rub on the face). Pour the infusion mixture into 1 tbsp. l. Let it swell, dissolve in a steam bath, and cool slightly. Add 2 tbsp. l. cucumber juice Stir, apply to face, and remove after drying. Instead of tea, you can use a spring; the effect will be the same. And if you add the same amount of aloe pulp to cucumber juice, the mask will help deal with acne.
- Cleansing foil mask with charcoal … Pour 0.5 tsp. Gelatin 1 tbsp. l. lukewarm water, let it swell and dissolve in a steam bath, and stir in 0.5 tsp—crushed activated carbon. Apply a slightly cooled mass on the face of blackheads. Could you wait until it is dry and remove it?
Attention! Instead of a water bath, you can use a microwave, but make sure that the water with gelatin does not boil in it.
Egg white foil mask recipes
- Cleansing with charcoal … Another option for a charcoal film mask is to crush the charcoal tablet into a powder and beat it with a fork with one egg white. You do not need to achieve persistent foam; your task is to make the mixture homogeneous. After that, all that’s left is to apply it to your face and wait until it dries completely.
- Whitening with acid … Grind a piece of acid in a mixer—mix flour and juice with protein. Lubricate the face, wait for the necessary time and remove the dried mass.
- With clay from blackheads … Make a liquid paste from egg white and cosmetic clay – white, blue, pink. Apply to the nose, cheeks, and T-zone in the blackhead area. Wait for half an hour and remove the dried mixture. Important: do not apply it to the whole face; the mask film from blackheads dries the skin very much.
- For coloring with oatmeal … Beat the protein with 2 teaspoons of castor oil, add a spoonful of honey and oatmeal and use it according to the standard algorithm.
- Nourishing and refreshing with vegetable juice … Combine protein in one cup, taken in 2 tbsp. l. carrot and cucumber juice, add 1 tbsp. l. olive oil. If the mixture is too runny, thicken it with a bit of oatmeal or starch. Use as in the previous examples.
- Moisturizing and nourishing with cream … The egg white is mixed with 30 ml of cream until smooth, with a fat content of less than 20%. Spread the mixture over the face, let it dry and remove.
To make a paraffin mask:
- Melt one portion of the material in a water bath until the temperature is comfortable for the skin.
- Add aloe juice, honey, fruit/berry puree, or other favorite ingredients.
- Blend until smooth and apply to the face with a broad brush.
- Wait until the feeling of heat disappears entirely and remove the mask.
A significant advantage of paraffin is its ability to retain heat for a long time, open pores, and increase the penetration of healing substances deep into the skin. Masks thereby help to improve blood circulation, smooth turgor, improve skin tone, and give the skin a fresher and more toned appearance.
Rules for using masking tape
Film masks purchased or made at home are subject to constant use rules. Their correlation does not play a significant role – no matter how lubricated, the cover will work! But practice shows that precisely following the proper technique leads to the best results, so you should not neglect it.
How to use the film mask:
- Cleanse the skin: remove make-up, and wash with standard foam or gel.
- If sold the mask in powder form, dilute it according to the instructions on the package with clean drinking water or mineral water.
- Prepare a flat brush specially designed for this purpose (you can’t borrow a brush from a child’s watercolor set, even if you wash the nap diligently with soap and water) and gently spread the gel over the face. Trust me; you can never create an even layer with your fingers! Follow the massage lines from top to bottom, keeping the facial muscles relaxed.
- Give the mask time to dry. Purchased mixtures keep as long as indicated in the instructions, homemade film masks – 20-30 minutes. Do not wait longer than the agreed time, hoping to receive additional benefits!
- The mask is also removed from the foundation. You must carefully pick it up on your chin and pull it off your face with a smooth, fearless movement, raising your hands to your forehead. Suppose you handled the brush correctly and applied the gel in an even layer. In that case, you should be able to do this without much difficulty. If film particles remain on the face, run your finger over them with light pressure and roll the mask pieces off the skin. In rare cases, when can not remove the film, it is washed off with warm water without soap.
- Film products, especially lifting films, often dry out the skin, so each time, the treatment should be completed by applying a moisturizing serum or cream to a cleansed face.
Try to make the process of personal care enjoyable. Set aside a particular time for this, preferably in the evening, turn on pleasant music, and wait for the mask to dry in the company of your favorite book or TV show. It has been proven that beauty treatments work best when you feel comfortable and relaxed, rather than doing everything in a hurry.
If you use masks prepared based on proteins, removing them from the skin is not easy: the layer sticks do not want to stretch and break into small pieces. You must wash it off with lots of water or resort to small tricks.
How to make an egg film mask with maximum comfort:
- Prepare some thin tissues, kitchen paper, or soft toilet paper.
- Using a brush, brush over the face with the first layer of the protein mask.
- Place the paper on top by cutting it into small rectangles or immediately cutting out the shape of a mask with holes for the eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Cover the napkin attached to the face with a second and third layer of protein.
- After drying, remove it by holding the bottom edge.
Attention! Since protein, by definition, can slightly tighten the skin, all of the above sheet masks have a lifting effect to some extent.
The results of using a foil mask
According to the reviews of women who regularly experience the effects of film masks, this convenient cosmetic often helps restore the skin. It has proven particularly effective as a fighter against blackheads, oily sheen, and flabbiness.
However, antagonistic or at least indifferent reviews of film masks on the Internet are also not uncommon. On someone’s skin, they do not produce the expected effect. Flaking and dryness wake some. They cause a burning sensation in someone!
The conclusion of all this can be made as follows: film masks work best if three conditions are met:
- First … They must be produced by a trusted supplier that does not skimp on ingredients and technology.
- Second … Should choose them according to the needs of the skin.
- Thirdly … You should not be too zealous with them – 1-2 times a week for owners of oily skin and 1 time in 10 days for dry homemakers.