Carpet; How to care? Traditional and modern methods of cleaning carpets remove stains and unpleasant odors and prevent contamination of materials. Carpet maintenance is a procedure to preserve the skin’s cleanliness and original appearance and ensure the material’s long life. We suggest you familiarize yourself with the leading causes of pollution and options for cleaning it, as well as preventive measures to reduce the number of cleanups.
There are two types of carpet cleaning – dry and wet cleaning. The choice of option depends mainly on the coating material and the length of the pile, but there are other factors that you should pay attention to.
The reasons for refusing to wet carpet cleaning can be the following:
- The material has a jute base which, after saturation with water, can deform; ugly spots can form on the surface. Unpleasant odors, mildew, and mildew may also appear.
- Carpet with dirt-resistant coating. The water washes away the impregnation, and the layer deteriorates rapidly under unfavorable conditions.
- For products with an adhesive base – deformation of the panel are possible after getting wet.
- Carpet with a pattern on the surface. Water will wash away the design, and stains will appear.
- Blanket with latex foam backing. It adheres well to the surface, it is difficult to remove it for drying, so it is better not to wet the layer.
It is recommended to dry clean carpets made of natural materials. Such a floor can be cleaned 2-3 times a week with a conventional vacuum cleaner, removing dust and small dirt. More advanced technology is used for thorough cleaning.
A unique electric machine with a rotating brush allows you to remove dirt from the depth of the skin. Under the rotation of working tools, the fibers are separated. They can easily remove land and debris from the inside of the carpet.
Once a month, you should deeply cleanse a natural product with a special powder made up of micro sponges that absorb dirt well. It is a modern carpets technology that is becoming increasingly popular among homemakers. Immediately after cleaning, you can walk on the surface, which is a massive advantage over other cleaning methods.
The procedure for cleaning carpets with dry powder is as follows:
- The surface is a vacuum cleaner with a screw attachment. The implement will straighten and mix the pile and restore it to its normal state.
- After processing with a vacuum cleaner, the powder is manually spread over the carpet’s surface or with a particular device.
- The layer is left alone for a while (up to 2 hours), during which the agent absorbs dirt. The duration of the action of the powder depends on the contamination of the pile. The dirty grains change color and are removed with a vacuum cleaner.
Cannot wash carpets with a long pile with a washing machine. The airflow does not pass through the dense fur, and a small amount of moisture remains on the layer and contributes to mold growth; a damp feeling appears in the room.
The long pile makes it challenging to clean the floor, so use our suggestions, where you can find out how to care for this type of carpet:
- We should not keep animals in a house with this type of coating. Hair and food crumbs are very difficult to remove from the pile. They become the cause of the appearance of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Long pile material should be placed in areas where it will be the least dirty and does not need to dry wet. Long fibers absorb water well and dry for a long time, contributing to the foundation’s mold deformation.
- Carpets with long threads are vacuumed at least 2 times a week, and filthy areas – up to 4 times.
- Put a mat in front of the door to keep most of the dirt on the street.
- Clean the contaminated area immediately. Loose dirt is difficult to remove.
The carpet is cleaned not only of debris. Microorganisms can multiply in a pile, which is destroyed with an antibacterial complaint. The procedure is carried out once a quarter, as often as possible. Cleaning the cloth once a week in the children’s room is recommended. The carpet is also quartz once a week in rooms with little artificial lighting. In this way, sunlight, which has antiseptic properties, is replaced.
After cleaning can refresh the natural carpet with ammonia solution. 3 tablespoons are poured into a liter of water. Tablespoons of ammonia and then dry the surface of the fabric. After the operation, the brightness of the paint appears again.
Wet cleaning of carpets
You can safely clean and wash the prepared material with water. The skin is washed by hand or with mechanical devices.
Wash blankets by hand
Wet carpet cleaning by hand is considered traditional and has long been used to clean carpets. The detergent can be different – shampoo, washing powder, reagent. Choose one product for washing. Otherwise, a mixture of different combinations can damage the pile—alternate detergents whenever possible to choose the best for consistent use—well proven in cleaning Vanish.
Be careful with unfamiliar procedures. Try them first in an inconspicuous place. If the detergent is of poor quality, it is not washed out of the fibers, the pile loses its elasticity, and a lot of dirt remains in the threads.
The work is done in the following order:
- Make sure you can wet clean your type of flooring.
- Free the carpet from furniture and other objects that can interfere with cleaning.
- Pour water into the bucket. Add detergent and stir until foam appears.
- Apply foam to the surface and let sit for a few minutes. Do not pour too much liquid on the carpet.
- Clean the cover gently with a stiff brush. The solution penetrates the pile and removes dirt, stains, and unpleasant odors.
- Put foam water on the carpet regularly.
- As dirt dissolves, the water becomes cloudy; it can be driven to one spot with a spatula and removed with rags.
- Repeat the procedure until the coating is thoroughly cleaned.
- You can walk on the carpet only after the pile is completely dry.
If you use a small amount of water, the layer will only be 9-10% wet and usable after 5-6 hours. Washing the carpet significantly affects the pile, so you should clean it this way no more than once a month.
Certain types of carpet may be laundered where can remove the pile from the base. For high-quality cleaning, the rug is rolled up and soaked. Before the procedure, it is necessary to clarify the permissible water temperature and the composition of detergents. The washed layer is dried in the shade for at least 3 days in the sun.
How to clean a carpet with foam
The method is intermediate between dry and wet cleaning. Special foam mixtures contain alkali, small abrasives, alcohol, and other components to create foam.
The procedure for cleaning carpets with foam is as follows:
- Clean the skin surface with a standard vacuum cleaner with a unique screw nozzle from visible dirt.
- Pour cold water into a bucket, add detergent and whisk until foamy.
- Apply foam evenly to carpet and let sit for 30 minutes.
- The foam moisturizes dirt and prevents the layer from getting wet.
- Gently wipe off the dirtiest areas with a soft brush in the direction of the pile, but do not rub the dirt.
- After 30 minutes, remove the residual foam with milder soil with a scouring pad.
- Dry the carpet.
Clean the carpet with a washable vacuum cleaner
Homemakers have long appreciated the advantages of washing vacuum cleaners. With their help, you can remove tough dirt from the surface. Make sure the material can be washed similarly before cleaning the carpet. Check the effectiveness of the detergent in a conspicuous place.
Cleaning is carried out in the following way:
- Vacuum the surface with a standard vacuum cleaner to remove coarse debris and dust.
- Pour water into the product tank, and add detergent in the necessary proportions.
- Place the nozzle with the desired shape on the hose, depending on the length of the pile.
- During the operation, move the attachment along the carpet slowly, smoothly, towards the bank.
- Dry the material thoroughly after cleaning.
It is not recommended to use a vacuum cleaner for coatings made of natural materials.
Steam carpet cleaning
Steam is generated by particular household and commercial appliances. It is applied to the surface of the carpet through a flexible hose under pressure. Most steam generators do not suck up dirt; they are used to soften dirt and some stains that can easily remove with a brush or cloth.
The device of the steam generator is simple: in a special tank, the water is heated to a high temperature, and at low pressure and humidity, dry steam is formed, which blows through the pile of skin. For ease of use, the hose is supplied with various fittings. The heat kills the ants, and the steam refreshes the coating.
More expensive models suck in steam and dirt; they are also called steam cleaners. A steamer is a steam-generating device where a container for generating steam is attached to the base.
Carpet steam cleaning is done in the following order:
- Choose a cleansing time that allows the skin to dry for no more than 12 hours. Prolonged exposure to moisture can damage the fabric.
- Vacuum the product with a regular vacuum cleaner.
- Heat the water to the temperature specified in the instructions for the steam generator and pour it into the tank. Add detergent. The water for the steam generator must meet the requirements in the instructions for the product. Some models only work with distilled water or by adding plain water.
- The detergent added to the water should not damage the coating. Choose a detergent with an acidity of 10 pH, preferably recommended by the carpet manufacturer.
- Steam the entire surface without staying in one place for a long. Make sure the pile is not wet but slightly moistened. Do not overheat the fiber with steam.
- Inspect the surface, and remove any remaining dirt with a soft brush.
- Dry the carpet.
It is recommended to steam clean the floor once a week. Not all materials can withstand high heat, so ensure the method is suitable for your application before steam cleaning.
Restrictions on the use of the steam generator are as follows:
- The device must be powerful enough to clean the carpet. Otherwise, the floors will be dirty.
- Not all types of carpet can withstand heat well. Overheating can damage the foundation or pile, so before you clean, you should consult experts about the possibility of cleaning the mat with a steam generator.
- Using steam to treat stains, milk, and eggs is not recommended. Under the influence of high heat, the structure of the protein changes, and the contamination becomes irreversible.
- Steam is not used to disinfect the skin. Most pathogenic microorganisms tolerate short-term exposure to hot smoke, and prolonged exposure can damage the finish.
Clean carpet with snow
You can use this method to clean touch covers or small parts not attached to the floor. The primary condition of the procedure is the presence of freshly fallen snow and a frosty day.
Instructions for cleaning carpets with snow:
- Choose a location where the canvas can be rearranged to a new area.
- Spread the blanket with the pile down and sprinkle the top with snow.
- Walk or beat it with a stick to remove dirt.
- Move the panel to a new location and repeat the procedure. When you are happy with the result, turn the blanket inside out.
- Pour snow on it, beat and brush off the residue with a broom or brush.
- Hang the blanket over the bar and keep tapping.
- It is necessary to dry the material thoroughly and put it in its place at home.
Scarfs are not cleaned if the snow is wet and loose.
Eliminate carpet odors
Unpleasant consequences of using carpets include odors that various sources can cause.
Many people do not like the smell of a new product. Moreover, it can cause allergic reactions. It appears due to the processing of the material with various chemical agents to protect it from moisture, prevent electrification, etc. Usually, the smell disappears after 3-7 days, but sometimes two weeks is not enough. Therefore, lying down in a well-ventilated place is permissible before laying the carpet on the floor.
If the coating is in a damp room or has been wet for a long time, fungi and mold grow in it, which becomes the source of an unpleasant smell.
How to care for your carpet at home so that a “dull scent” does not appear, can learn from the following tips:
- Dry the material regularly and check the moisture content of the pile and substrate.
- Remember to ventilate the area to remove excess moisture.
- In addition, saturate the skin with mildew and mildew products.
- Where the material lies must be impregnated with fungicides and antibacterials and then waterproofed. Otherwise, the drying procedure will soon have to be repeated.
- Disinfect the carpet with ultraviolet light from a quartz lamp.
- If the room is not used for a long time, remove the carpet (if the installation method allows), roll it up, and take it to a dry room.
- If possible, take it outside in winter and summer. This method allows you to get rid of the growth of microorganisms. In the sun, the carpet can only be dry. Otherwise, it can deteriorate.
- In winter, clear the table with snow.
The ammonia smell appears when cats or dogs are in the apartment. The sooner you start eliminating urine, the better the result. The problem area is soaked with a 3% peroxide solution and washed with a dry napkin to eliminate the odor. Another option is to use a solution of baking soda, dishwashing liquid, and peroxide to neutralize. You can use ready-made urine cleaners available in the store.
To eliminate other odors, the pile is dried with soda, left for several hours, and rinsed with vinegar and water. The smell of fish is removed by improvisation. You can sprinkle the smelly area with salt, which absorbs odor well and then releases it. A weak vinegar solution also helps.
The smell of beer is removed with a napkin dipped in clean water. Clean the area thoroughly but do not rub it. After the procedure, you must try the carpet entirely. The smell will last for a few more days and then disappear.
Removes stains from carpet
Carpet stains are the most common surface stain. You can use our tips to remove them.
Should remove the stain immediately upon discovery. The sooner you start cleaning an area, the more likely you will remove it altogether. Immediately dry the new paint with a tissue or sponge so that less liquid is absorbed into the skin. Apply the old glycerin, leave overnight and then remove with a saturated soapy solution.
Buy a stain remover at the time of purchase to always have it on hand. The substance is first applied to a white cloth and then pressed firmly to the contaminated area. Check your skin’s reaction to this cleaner when using a specific stain remover.
To get rid of stains from different combinations, use the following instructions:
- Stains from wine, alcohol, and beer are first washed with a soapy solution with a soft brush, then dried with a resolution of vinegar (1 teaspoon per 1 liter of water).
- Dry marks disappear if the areas are dried with glycerin, left overnight, and washed with a thick, soapy solution.
- Coffee stains are removed with a solution of vinegar or glycerin – 1 tbsp. Spoon for 1 liter of cold water.
- The gum must be frozen with ice from the fridge and then chopped.
- Can remove tar and tar stains with kerosene or gasoline. Apply a cloth soaked in solvent to the color, then rinse the area. Greasy stains are released in the same way.
- Salt, poured on top, helps to clean the carpet from fresh greasy stains. The salt absorbs fat and is easy to remove.
- Drops of paraffin or wax are frozen with ice from the freezer, and then the contamination is chipped off. Another option is to melt the wax with a hot iron and place a napkin on top to absorb the wax.
- Juice and ketchup stains are significantly lightened with citric acid. To do this, the problem area is sprinkled liberally with the substance, left for a few minutes, and then rubbed with effort with a damp cloth.
- If you find dirt on the street, let it dry, remove large items and vacuum up small objects.
- Remove the thick liquid from the stain with a spoon from the center to the edges. Continue cleaning with a cloth dipped in the appropriate stain remover from the edges to the center of the stain. Then rinse the area with water and dry with a soft damp brush.
Universal Stain Remover is a neutral crystallizing shampoo. For cleaning, dissolve 1 tbsp. l. shampoo in 1 liter of water. You can use it to remove traces of glue, chocolate, berries, and more.
Clean pet hair from the carpet
The presence of pets creates problems with carpet cleaning. When buying a cat (or blanket), keep the following points in mind: cleaning a long wool blanket is difficult because the fibers are intertwined. It is easier to clean a layer with a low, dense pile than a long one. Long hair is easier to clean, and short hair gets deep into the bank, it is difficult to remove.
Suggestions for removing pet hair:
- Brush the carpet with a wet palm or brush in the direction of the pile. The wool rolls and is easy to collect and remove.
- A quicker but less quality method is to sweep the canvas with a damp broom.
- You can collect wool with a vacuum cleaner with a nozzle specially designed for this purpose. Some types of vacuum cleaners are equipped with special turbo brushes to clean coatings made of animal hair.
- Small areas of fur can be cleaned by wrapping tape around your hand, sticky side out.
It takes a long time to clean the coat from animal matter, so it is better to prevent such contamination. Try to brush the animals more often, especially during heavy composting. Strengthen the skin, so it adheres more firmly, for example, with special shampoos.
If you shed a lot, see your vet, who can provide your pet with food that reduces shedding. In the animal’s favorite place lay a small blanket with the bulk of the hair remaining.
How to dry a wet carpet
A wet carpet can lose its color, shape, and beauty, so it is necessary to take immediate measures to dry it. Covering made of natural material is especially afraid of water, but there are other products for which water is harmful.
A small wet area is dried as follows:
- If clean water is spilled, dry the area with a towel, sheet, or other cotton cloth until most of the water is removed. Do not rub the spot.
- A washing vacuum helps to remove water. It will absorb clean water; if it is dirty, it will rinse the area.
- Lift the canvas, which is wet from the edge, and secure it in some way so that air can flow freely under the flooring.
- After most of the water has been removed, heat small wet areas with a hair dryer or heater. The main thing is to over-dry the pile.
An utterly wet carpet is dried as follows:
- Remove heavy objects and furniture from the floor.
- Collect the water around the carpet, then use a rag to remove as much water as possible from the carpet.
- It is advisable to take the cloth out of the house, let it dry in the shade, and then keep it in the sun for a few days.
- It is better to apply it on a roller. Cover the fluffed side with a cotton cloth before rolling; it will absorb some moisture.
- Do not walk on wet material; it may permanently disfigure the skin.
- Do not dry a completely damp cloth on a pipe; it can deform under its weight.
- Make sure the fabric dries on both sides.
- It must be taken apart and dried if there is back under the carpet.
- If you can’t take the product out, turn on an air conditioner with a dehumidifier function or simply a dryer.
Regular carpet cleaning and proper care provide special coziness and comfort in the room. A careful attitude to the material increases its service life. It allows you to enjoy all the advantages of this type of coating.